Monday, February 11, 2008

Don't ask, don't tell

It's no secret our union, AFSCME is supporting Hillary Clinton. I just can't support her, because I don't think she can win. I know that sounds fickle and I am very excited that a woman is finally being taken seriously as a presidential candidate, but why oh why does it have to be Hillary? The Republicans are rumored to be secretly funneling money into her campaign.

I have heard Barack Obama speak at the American Library Association convention when it was in Chicago a few years ago. He is a fantastic speaker. I think he'll do a really good job. The clincher for me was when Caroline Kennedy endorsed Mr. Obama. My mother told me that when I was a little girl (I'm dating myself, I know) and they talked about or showed her on television, I would stop whatever I was doing and watch her in fascination. A couple years ago when LC2 and I were helping with Gordon Hintz's campaign (it was also a presidential year), Caroline Kennedy was speaking at the UAW Labor Hall in Oshkosh in support of John Kerry. Well, we were making phone calls for Gordon in one of the rooms there, and, long story short, we had a very nice chat with Caroline Kennedy. It was surreal, to be sure. Anyhow, I am supporting Barack Obama. Sorry AFSCME, I can't go with you blindly on this one.

--LC1